Tuesday, March 9, 2010

EPIPHANY

20 years of being a musician. 13 years as a teacher. Even now, God still surprises me through my music lesson.

Had a bit of an epiphany today. I was at St Mary of the Angels Fransciscan friary teaching one of the friars the piano. He struggles with executing correctly. Poor thing. He is expected (by his superiors) to 'deliver' good liturgical music in a short period of time.

During our class last night, he kept trying to 'repair' his mistake. I finally got a little frustrated, and told him not to dwell on it and move on. The words just came out of my mouth when I said 'move on'.

Then, I started revealing to him that in performance or during mass playing, there is no way to 'repair' mistakes. Only way is to move on, simply because panicking when things go wrong leads to a bigger mess, but messing up a bar or two, and yet be able to play along with the congregation for the most part is more effective.

That's when it hit me that this analogy applies to my struggles with sin. So often, I dwell on my mistakes, that I forget that despite my sinful state, I can still train others and be an example. All I need to do is stop dwelling on the mistake (not to mean taking for granted), but MOVING ON because there are many other things that I can give glory to God for.

I thank God for this revelation.

No comments:

Post a Comment