Friday, January 1, 2010

2010- SCARY SIA!

Happy New Year my friends. Here's to another year of uncertainty and ambiguity.

Sounds cynical, doesn't it? But such is our Catholic faith. We always seem to know what we are supposed to do, and what is expected of us, but really...do we really know where we are heading?

Before you get an impression that I am a wet blanket, let's face it. We are all selfish people. No matter how much we try to be giving, charitable, and all that, deep down, don't we wish for this and that? Don't we bargain with God for something easier rather than embracing our cross lovingly?

But here's the other side...Too much trying to be good for God can be harmful. The devil is such that he can lure in the obvious direction of sin, and also disguise himself as someone good, and allow you to do good deeds, but to the point of obsession. Example would be trying to be diligent and working hard for the family, which is a darn good thing, until you neglect your family time, and the more important things like prayer and community. Or, we get more obsessed with trying to be good for God by not breaking his commandments, and we force it on others to be like you, failing to be sensitive to those who may not be on the same spiritual level as you.

SO what do we do? Frankly, I don't know. But I trust that if my intentions and thoughts are pure, and I accept my weaknesses, and plod along, I think God will indulge me. In the past, I used to get hung up on my mistakes. Now, I just use it to pick myself up and move on.

I like what one priest said to me during confession. There is a difference between perfection and holiness. If we get so obsessed with perfection, we will never see the light of day. That's because we are supposed to rely on God for His strength. Holiness is just being dedicated to prayer and being in touch with God almost unceasingly.

Whatever it is, keep pure in thought, word and deed, but also a charitable heart that does not judge.

For 2010, let's learn to embrace our crosses of injustice, irritations, imperfections, and self-centredness.

O God, in all things, help us trust in YOU. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment